Author: Rowan Rodrik
Luca Citi, a nice Italian Ubuntu user, just gave me an excellent tip in response to my list of Readline keyboard shortcuts. Modern Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and Gentoo can easily be configured for Bash to use smart completion. With smart completion enabled, instead of just looking among all the available files and directories without discrimination, TAB will be able to more accurately adjust its list of available completions depending on the program for which arguments are being sought.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on May 09, 2007, at 13:05 |
Thursday evening: so, I had written myself a nice little script using Aaron Patterson's WWW::Mechanize and why's Hpricot to extract some data from a popular web-based airport directory.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on May 02, 2007, at 13:05 |
Popko, my dad, has founded the Omega Research Foundation in 1984 (when I was two years old). The Foundation was to serve as a a vehicle for his research into cyclical changes within ecological and social systems.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on March 22, 2007, at 21:03 |
PDFLaTeX doesn't like encapsulated postscript images. If you want to use .eps files with pdflatex, you can convert these files to PDF using Sebastian Rahtz' epstopdf, and then remove all .eps file extensions from the image locations in your .tex source files. Then, the latex command will look for .eps file and the pdflatex command will look for .pdf, .jpg and .png files.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on March 02, 2007, at 23:03 |
I'm learning Spanish from a Dutch method called Eso sÃ. Approaching chapter 10, I noticed that I would benefit from first learning the words introduced in each chapter before starting on the chapter's text and exercises. From doing some exercises on Spanish learning websites (especially www.studyspanish.com), I noticed that flash cards can be a great help.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on March 02, 2007, at 00:03 |
Due to some organizational changes, past December, I had to remove the S.A. suffix from the Sicirec logo:
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on February 27, 2007, at 17:02 |
Yesterday, after uploading a refreshed www.sicirec.org, some character encoding issues popped up because I had converted the website's content from ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) to UTF-8. (I wanted to be able to type and paste special characters from PuTTY into VIM without worrying about the particular encoding of each file.)
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on February 26, 2007, at 23:02 |
For the Sicirec website, I use Subversion to track all changes. When working on big changes which take more than a day to implement, I follow the Feature Branches branching pattern. This pattern means that the trunk remains relatively stable and usable for everyday updates while I can climb in a feature branch whenever I want to work on the big new feature(s).
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on February 25, 2007, at 13:02 |
Today, while improving the Rails GUI for the Sicirec database, I was struck once again by how annoyingly small <textarea>s can be when having the user type lots of text.
By Rowan Rodrik, 6 years ago, on February 18, 2007, at 20:02 |