Skip to content

Blackberry Enterprise Server issues

I’ve had some issues with my Blackberry Enterprise Server. Some users say their mail is not synced. Others are reporting calendars being messed up. Just jotting down some memory aids.

First, I had this error in the BBAS log:

org.jboss.remoting.CannotConnectException: Can not get connection to server. Problem establishing socket connection for InvokerLocator [sslsocket:

This KB article suggests it would fix itself after 24 hours, but that was not the case. I have about a month worth of BBAS logs full of that error. The log files grow to about 100 MB per day. It started around May 23.

Restarting the Blackberry Administrator Services (two services) seemed to have fix that, but in turn, I got this error in the BBAS log:

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown

It is explained in this KB article. It mentions two causes: one is different server pool name across your servers. That can’t be, because I only have one. The other was still being investigated, and there was no time frame available for a solution:

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

I tried logging into the webconsole at “https://hostname.domain.com:3443/webconsole/login”, but it always said my password was wrong. I had this before, so I once again restarted the Blackberry Administration Services (two of them), but this time by stopping them both and starting them manually (not using the restart function). I could log in again.

Also, it seems there is no more flooding of errors in the BBAS log. There are still exceptions occurring, but that seems to be a common thing with BES. The errors above are gone.

I don’t know if this is a permanent solution, because I had to restart these services once before, but for now it works.

Also, I started out looking at this because users reported calendar issues (appointments disappearing, being canceled, etc). But I doubt this has anything to do with it. Some users also still had e-mail syncing problems. Because that first KB article mentioned device reconciliation (Blackberry term for device syncing), maybe those errors are related to that. But, it’s very hard to test, because my own test phone worked fine.


    No Comments ( Add comment / trackback )